One of our favourite things about the Summer months is making the switch to alfresco dining, and being able to serve dishes full of fabulously fresh produce (such as succulent salads, just like the one below). Why not have a go at cooking Amelia’s delicious Chickpea And Aubergine Salad for yourself? It makes a great standalone salad, or wonderful side dish.
CHICKPEA AND AUBERGINE SALAD
(Serves 4 as a side, or 2 as a meal)
½ small red onion
1 large aubergine, cut in half lengthways and sliced into thin half moons
A good glug of olive oil
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
2 x 400g of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 large fresh tomatoes, cubed
1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
2 tsp garlic-infused oil
1 tsp cayenne pepper
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Flaked almonds, to serve
1. Cover the sliced onion with water and set aside for half an hour.
2. Prepare the aubergine by spreading the half-moon slices out on a baking tray and brushing with olive oil. Place under a high grill for five minutes, remove to brush with olive oil and lemon juice, then place back under the grill until the edges are slightly blackened and the flesh is soft. Set aside in a large bowl (we suggest one our rustic-style glass bowls).
3. On the same baking tray, spread out the chickpeas and grill until golden. Add them to the bowl with the aubergine.
4. Add the cubes of tomato to the bowl, along with the parsley, red onion, garlic oil, cayenne pepper, remaining lemon juice, zest, and salt and pepper.
5. Mix well and serve warm with a small sprinkling of flaked almonds.
In celebration of Summer salads, we’ve teamed-up with nutritional therapists and author Amelia Freer to give away a copy of her bestselling cook book, Cook. Nourish. Glow., along with one of our Large Scissor-Cut Glass Bowl and wooden salad servers – the perfect presentation for any salad.
To be in with a chance of winning, simply enter your details below no later than 10th June 2016*.
This competition is now closed.
* For full terms and conditions click here.
Looking for more alfresco entertaining inspiration? We’ve got everything you need here.