If you’re looking for extra-special tableware, our Symons Bone China Collection is just the thing. Supreme strength and durability mixed with its light, delicate feel make it an exceptional dinner table addition. We particularly love the natural translucency and stylish warm-white colour of our bone china, which is a result of our uniquely blended minerals.
To make this stunning collection, we’ve worked in collaboration with award-winning ceramics designer Robin Levien, who has over 44 years of expertise and is a Senior Fellow at the Royal College of Art, too. Together, we’ve ensured each piece in the range is perfectly formed, from our dainty mugs to our generous pasta bowls, serving platters and everything in-between; here’s how:
1. Expertly designed in the UK, where bone china was invented over 200 years ago, the craftsmen at Studio Levien were inspired by shapes found in nature – such as flower buds – that mirror bone china’s beauty and unexpected strength.
2. The smallest of design features were carefully considered, including the upturned rim of the plates which, not only looks elegant, but also makes it especially functional to hold.
3. Initial drawings were skilfully transformed into 3D-sketch models, which were hand-turned, carved and perfected until a final design was selected.
4. We only work with craftsmen who are obsessive about detail, and so each sample was individually inspected and evaluated for the ultimate in perfection.
5. The final designs were sent to the factory where, with an extreme level of care, our quality bone-china minerals are freshly blended and poured. Each piece we make is hand-crafted from this unique mineral blend. While plates are shaped on spinning moulds, hollow items involve expertly pouring liquid clay repeatedly in and out of the moulds.
6. Once shaped and dried, each item is placed on specially made ‘setters’, which support their delicate form when they are fired in the kiln at extra-high temperatures of 1,250°C.
7. When removed from the kiln, each piece is hand-dipped into a quality liquid glaze and fired again to achieve a supremely durable quality.
8. When these pieces emerge from the kiln, they showcase the most magical finish – an elegant soft-white colour, exquisite gloss, unique translucency and unbeatable robustness.