Looking for some brunch inspiration? Nutritional therapist and author of hot new book Cook. Nourish. Glow. Amelia Freer knows how to get the perfect balance of healthy and delicious. Why not try this recipe at the weekend?
Roasted Peppers With Baked Eggs
This recipe is perfect for a laid-back brunch with family. Amelia suggests that you cook a few batches to keep in the fridge to eat cold. It’s a no-fail, great make-ahead recipe. Don’t be afraid to be creative and stuff other foods, like couscous inside the pepper.
1 large fresh pepper, washed, halved and seeds removed
8 sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
2 tsp harissa paste
A handful (approx. 20g) of fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 eggs, preferably free-range or organic
A small handful of fresh basil leaves finely shredded
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
2. Put the pepper halves on a baking tray drizzle with a little olive oil and roast for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, mix the sun-dried tomatoes and harissa paste together in a medium-sized bowl. Add the spinach and combine. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Remove the peppers from the oven. Spoon the tomato and spinach mixture into the peppers. Use the spoon to make a well in the centre, then break a whole egg slowly over the top of each half (take care not to let the egg spill over). Return to the oven and bake for 16 to 18 minutes, until the egg yolk is cooked as you like it.
5. Sprinkle over a little shredded basil before serving.
Once you’ve mastered this recipe, here’s our favourite ways to serve an accompanying brilliant brunch.
Accessorise your brunch
Our new Spring lifestyle brochure will soon be making its way through your letterbox. Inside, you’ll find lots of inspiration to help you entertain this season.
Shop our new Spring home collection here
Cook. Nourish. Glow. by Amelia Freer (Michael Joseph) is out now