Learn a new skill over the Bank Holiday weekend and create stunning floral displays with top tips from founder and CEO of Flowerbx Whitney Bromberg Hawkings. We have the perfect vases for your bouquets, too.
1. Ensure the vase is sparkling clean. Any dirt in the water will cause bacteria to grow and will shorten the vase life of the flowers.
2. Fill a vase with fresh, lukewarm water. Add flower food and stir until it is fully dissolved. If you don’t have flower food to hand, a bleach tablet can help to keep the water clean and keep the flowers fresh for longer.
3. Opt for seasonal flowers, as they will always be the best quality and value. We think single-variety bunches look best but, if you prefer a mix, then keep it tonal for a fail-safe arrangement.
4. Remove any foliage that will be below the waterline and arrange the flowers as a bunch in your hand, keeping all the stems facing in the same direction.
5. Once you’re happy with the overall shape, trim the flower stems to the desired height to suit the vase. Always cut the stems on a 45° angle to allow maximum water absorption.
6. Place the flowers in the vase and allow the stems to relax into place, leaving space for each flower head to open.
7. To get the best out of your flowers, change the water and trim the stems a little every few days to prolong the flowers’ lives.
8. Enjoy! When the flowers fade, place the remains in your green waste bin, or garden compost heap. If some flowers last longer than others, trim them down and arrange in small bud vases to place on a mantelpiece, or bathroom counter, to get the most out of your blooms.
Portrait photography: Alex Bramall
Find the perfect vase…
Whether it’s a tall bouquet, a single stem or an arrangement from the garden, our collection has the right vessel for you.